1st G History

First Gethsemane Baptist Church was organized in 1910 as a result of a revival effort of a group of believers desiring a greater Christian witness in an area of Louisville, KY known at the time as "The Bottoms". The church has remained a stable witness for Christ since. Originally located on Floyd Street, the church erected a new building an relocated to Algonquin Parkway in 1972. Our most recent Pastor, Dr. T. Vaughn Walker, began serving the congregation in March 1984. Since his passing in February 2019, we have been led by Interim Pastor, Keith A. Bush, Sr,. We embrace a 'wholistic' approach to the ministry which seeks a balanced commitment to minister to the totality of a person's existence. This approach seeks to minister to the spiritual, physical and intellectual aspects of a persons life. 

We embrace a 'wholistic' approach to the ministry which seeks a balanced commitment to minister to the totality of a person's existence. This approach seeks to minister to the spiritual, physical and intellectual aspects of a persons life.


Affiliations

First Gethsemane Baptist Church is a member of the Central Baptist Association, the General Association of Kentucky Baptists, the Bluegrass State Baptist Convention, the Kentucky Baptist Convention, the National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc., the Southern Baptist Convention, and the Lott Carey Baptist Foreign Missions Convention.